Last week I made a commitment to Amy that I would finish this project. I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it, what with the three month old twins and all. But it turns out that all I had to do was step away from the computer and just work on it whenever I had a few minutes. And I finished it with a couple of days to spare! Wahoo! To see what other people finished last week, check out the link:
And here's what I did last week:
I made a mini!
I'm thinking of trying the quilt-as-you-go method for quilting my Fandango quilt, since it is going to be another huge one. However, I've never done it before so I decided to make a mini quilt to test my skills. It was also a good chance for me to try a couple different quilting styles to see which one I liked best. So I made mini "out of the box" blocks to practice on, using some fabric from my stash.
I knew I wanted to quilt straight lines in all the neutral fabric, but everything else was anyone's guess. These are the designs I tried:
Feathers and pebbles. I really wanted these to work, but I think it is just too busy.
This one has wavy lines in the border box. Then for the solid box I just traced around the design on the fabric. I think I like this one the best.
Loops, meandering, and swirls.
All straight lines. Too poofy.
Here is the back. I think it looks kinda cool. Even though the four sections don't meet too well in the middle. Oh well. One can't be too picky. I think I like the "wonky" look.
I bound it in this green because I just so happened to have a whole bunch of it already cut and folded. I've been practicing my machine binding. Check out my corners!
I found several tutorials for the quilt-as-you-go method. Two of them were for attaching one block at a time - here and here. One was for attaching larger sections - here. And then I found this tutorial after I had already started - genius! I'll definitely keep this in mind for next time.
I decided to try the first technique and attached each block one at a time, then attaching the rows. One tutorial suggests putting the overlapping piece on the front, the other suggests putting it on the back. I tried mine with the overlapping piece on the front, so I could stitch it down by machine and not have the front look funny. Now that I look at it, I think I will put the overlap on the back next time and try stitching it down by hand to avoid the "strip of fabric sewn on top of everything else" look. I don't know though. I'm not too good with hand stitching. It takes forever. I think I might also try making my sashing strips just a tad wider, to cut down on bulk.
The final product is 16 x 16 inches
Fabric is "Pumpkins Gone Wild" by Sandy Gervais - I THINK. (This fabric was part of a giveaway I won a long time ago. Who knew I had Sandy Gervais fabric in my stash all this time?!)
Now that this is finished, I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do with it. What does one do with mini-quilts?

I love your mini quilt, it turned out great! Save it when you boys are older and you go for car rides from grandma's they make great lap quilts for the car.
ReplyDeleteWow, three month old twins! It is a miracle you get any sewing done at all. Love your little mini and the different quilting you have done.
ReplyDelete