Thursday, January 16, 2014

Finish Along Q1 Goal

Even though I have seen posts about the Finish Along happening this year at The Littlest Thistle, I resisted jumping in myself.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe because I'm already participating in Shanna and Melissa's A Lovely Year of Finishes, which works better for me because the goals are much smaller.

Either way, I realized that the deadline for Quarter 1 of the Finish Along just happens to fall right around the time of my self imposed deadline for my Storm at Sea quilt, so I might as well link up, right?  Here we go!

My one goal is for this quarter is to finish my Storm at Sea quilt.  It's a big goal - this quilt is going to be HUGE (about 120 x 108) when it's finished.  But I'm gonna finish it!  I've been working on it forever and now it's being moved from the back burner to the very top of the list.

Here are just a few photos of my progress so far:
Original Fabric Pull
One of the first blocks
Finished center section

Wrinkly outer borders

Oakshott Triangles ready for piecing
Snail Trail blocks for inner "border"
Large solid remnants for backing
The layout plan!  Minus outer borders

But here's the thing.  I'm tired of calling this just my "Storm at Sea" quilt.  I feel like this quilt needs a name of it's own.  What do you think?  Does anyone have any amazing suggestions?  The pattern for the center section is called "Storm at Sea" and the border section around it is made up of "Snail Trail" blocks.  But this is a VERY non-traditional interpretation of the Storm at Sea pattern...


And just in case I happen to stray off course and work on my Twin toddler quilts, I'm including them in this post.  I'm planning on making a Broken Herringbone quilt with the green stack and a Jungle Path quilt with the blue one.  


Linking up:

Finish Along 2014

4 comments:

  1. It's a great pattern, but the best I can think of is the lame 'Rainbow swirl' I'd wait for someone better to come along if I were you ;o)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a name, but it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love the quilt......how about Rainbows Storm or Trailing Rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to look awesome! Names.... A Snail at Sea?! LOL I do like Maggie's suggestion above of Rainbow Storm.

    ReplyDelete