A few months ago, my local quilt guild (the Nebo Modern Quilt Guild) challenged us to make a quilt using only ONE color. As soon as I heard about the challenge, my mind immediately went to THIS pattern by Bonjour Quilts. This seemed like a perfect excuse to try it out and I had these grand ideas of doing an ombre gradient.
We each drew a crayon out of a paper bag to get our color assignments. I got orange. Obviously. I don't particularly have a problem with orange. I was a little disappointed because one of the quilts that made this pattern famous just happens to be done in orange (check it out HERE: Leland Ave Studios). But I was still determined to make my own version.
I thought the challenging part would be to find enough contrast between all my orange fabrics. I didn't want the pattern design (or the ombre effect) to be lost. I planned and cut very carefully, and I was a little surprised that the design totally worked - even though I only used one color. Granted, some of the light oranges have a lot of white in them, which helps. And some of the oranges are borderline yellow, but trust me - if you saw them on their own, you would call them orange. ;)
Turns out the hardest part was actually the setting triangles. I've never made a quilt with blocks set on point before and because of the way this quilt is designed, the whole outside edge of the quilt was on the bias. Yeah. Kinda scary.
For the quilting, I ditched between the blocks first. Then I quilted alternating circles/loops and straight lines (Angela Walters dot-to-dot style). If you look super closely, you'll see that even the quilting is sort of ombre-ish. The circle/loops get bigger as the lighter shades get more prominent. :)
When the quilt top was finished, I decided the orange was just too overwhelming and I needed a tiny bit of something else for contrast. So I backed the whole thing with this calming blue I've had languishing in my stash for awhile.
And then there's the flange binding. See that little pop of dark blue sticking out from beneath the (ombre) binding? Boom. (Tutorial by Sew Fresh Quilts)
Since I don't really have anything to do with this quilt now, I've decided to list it for sale in my Etsy shop HERE.
I already have plans to make another one! This time using actual ombre fabrics - Blue and Green. ;)
Quilt stats:
Started: March 2016
Finished: April 2016
Fabrics: Various orange fabrics
Batting: Fairfield 80/20
Finished size: Approx. 39" x 52"
Recipient: ???
Methods used: Piecing, Free Motion Quilting
Binding: Flange - Machine Stitched
Time to make: Approx. 16 hours










Tiffany, you have done such a fantastic job with this! I never considered using a single colour like you have and it looks amazing, you've nailed the ombre. Thank you for sharing your amazing interpretation of the pattern.
ReplyDelete