Friday, May 20, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I've been following Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival for awhile now (I LOVE IT!) and I finally got up the nerve to enter a quilt of my own...

This is the first bed sized quilt I have ever made.  I'm still pretty new to quilting (and will probably never stop), so this quilt was a major learning experience for me!  I learned a lot about color, precise piecing, arranging, straight line quilting (and the importance of REALLY good basting), and even cutting - I cut this quilt out entirely with SCISSORS!  I know, I must have been crazy.  I was hoping/expecting to get a rotary cutter/mat/ruler set for my birthday and just couldn't wait, so I cut all the pieces by hand.  Don't worry - I have the proper tools now and have been using them for the past year or so (I started this quilt in July and finished it in April).

I originally intended to give this quilt to one of my sisters when they got married - but none of them is married yet!  I was going to put it in the closet for storage, but then I accidentally put it on my bed... and never took it off!  I actually love it on my bed.  Besides, there are SO many flaws in this quilt - my sisters will be grateful to get something a little more professionally done.

And here it is!  Enjoy!






Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hopefully there will be a lot more stuff here in the next few months.  Thursday is the last day of school and I am BURSTING at the seams with anticipation!!!

Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival

8 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you made your first bed sized quilt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, its very pretty. The colours are fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, this is a great beginning and I can tell your next ones will be even greater! Great use of colour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thursday is your last day of school? I don't like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the bed sized quilt. I have not tackled that size yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilt and so happy you're able to enjoy it! I cut most of my quilt pieces with scissors since I need to sit in my recliner. I figure if people made quilts for centuries without mats and rotary cutters and if I'm very careful in cutting it will work out well. I do have a Donna dewberry cutter I use for strips that works very fast. Love the colors in your quilt. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete