Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Pal's Bookcase Quilt

Hi!  Welcome to my little corner of the blogosphere.  As part of Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival this fall, I wanted to show you an older quilt.  Unfortunately, I don't have very many finishes from the past 6 months because I am pregnant with twins and life has been a little crazy.  However, the doctor just put me on modified home bedrest, so I should have 3 to 6 weeks left to finish as many sewing projects as I can before the boys get here!  Yay!

Last year, I made this quilt for my sister.  She has a name, but I just call her Pal.  She LOVES to read and has TONS of books.  I'm kind of jealous of her book collection.  And her bookcase quilt.

My original inspiration for this quilt came from here

I wanted to make the books nice and thick, partly to make my job easier, and partly because my sister has so many THICK books!  I'm sometimes amazed at how fast she can read through them all.

Did you notice my little mistake?  Yep.  There are two floating books on the top shelf.  My bad.  

I tried my hand at straight line quilting (okay - wonky straight line quilting - but I think I like it) for the background.  I couldn't decide what to do with the rest, so I just meandered.  Quilting with different color thread in the bobbin is too scary for me, so the quilting shows up really well on the back!

I'm not sure what I intended Pal to use this quilt for, since she is so tall and the quilt isn't quite long enough to fit over her feet (sorry pal).  But it turns out that she decided to hang it on the wall in her apartment!  It looks AWESOME there.  Someday I want to make one of these for myself.

Now, if you haven't heard of Amy's Quilt Festival, and you have a LOT of time on your hands, go check out the rest of the entries!  (The link is at the top of my sidebar.)  There are some pretty awesome ones.  And at the time of my writing this, there are only 472 quilts.  Isn't the quilt blog world amazing?

7 comments:

  1. i love the book quilt. my sister loves to read too and i recently made her a quilt but i'm wishing i had made one similar to this. also congrats on the twins, i hope that you have a safe delivery and "enjoy" your modified bed rest. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful quilt!! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious the dimensions of this quilt. I love it so much, and I'm thinking I'll make one for my daughter... but I'm thinking a throw size...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracie - Good question! I didn't even know how big the quilt ended up. I had to go find my sketchbook where I drew the original design. It looks like it finished up at 53 x 67. Each row was planned to be about 52 x 20 or so. Good luck making one for your daughter! This quilt was a lot of fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany, it's a gorgeous quilt and must make an awesome wall hanging! I've been wanting to make one of these myself - someday soon maybe! Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy those boys when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilting. I love what you have done with it. :)

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete