Applique has always made me a bit nervous. I've tried it a couple of times (see HERE and HERE), but haven't been fully impressed with the results.
But then I got myself some fusible interfacing (I think that's what it is...) and realized that was the one rule of applique that I should NOT have broken. My latest project turned out much better than my previous ones!
See, the Hubby and I are both BYU alumni and avid BYU football (and soccer, and basketball, and volleyball) fans. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for some cute BYU attire for my boys, but to be honest - everything I have found is so. freaking. expensive.
So I took the plunge and decided to make my own (3 onesies for 6 dollars? Okay). I must admit, I was pretty nervous about sewing onto knit fabric, since I've never done that before, but I used that interfacing and everything came out great!
I printed my design (copied from Google Images) on freezer paper and then fused the interfacing to the blue part. I sewed the background down using a zigzag stitch, partly because I wanted it good and stuck, and partly because I didn't want to worry about cutting seam allowance in my interfacing. For the Y, I just used a regular straight stitch (slightly shorter than normal). I'm hoping the edges get a tiny bit ruffly in the wash. I was impressed with how easy this project was! I'll have to make another set when they get bigger...
The boys are going to wear them tomorrow for our big game against Utah. Go Cougars!!!
What an awesome idea! I can't wait to see the onesies on those boys.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is so awesome! I didn't know you were such a big quilter!
ReplyDelete