Monday, October 8, 2012

Twin Growth Charts

Here they are!  My quilted growth charts are finished.
Read more about them HERE and HERE.

I'm liking applique more and more these days.  I sewed the letters and numbers on (after quilting) using a blanket stitch.   I really like how they turned out. 

However, this is what happens when you have a baby underfoot (Bronx) who discovers the pedal before you can stop him...

Here is a shot of the back.  Some of the strip pieces have special meaning, although I'm sure I'm the only one who will ever care.  There is fabric from Daddy's stocking, their car seat covers, the first quilt I ever made, and even some from the shirt Daddy wore in our engagement pictures that has long since ceased to fit. :)

Of course, I had to copy my original inspiration and get a couple shots with babies in them.  I just couldn't help it.  This is Bronx in his pirate shirt (the back says "I've got a loaded booty").  

Now here's a crazy story for ya.  When I first went to write their heights on the charts (I started with just birth and six months, for now) using a permanent marker - I MESSED UP!  I thought I was writing on Jaxson's chart, but I was writing on Bronx's and I wrote the very first measurement in the WRONG SPOT.  I was actually kind of devastated and started searching the internet in a panic to see if there was a way to get it off.  I thought about just sewing a strip of white fabric over the top, but then decided to try rubbing alcohol, which seemed to get the best results according to the internet.  So I locked myself in the bathroom and went through almost an entire roll of paper towels and WAY more rubbing alcohol than was probably needed.  After lots of attempts and even some soaking, I finally just threw it in the washer.  The permanent marker faded, but definitely did NOT come out.  So I finally gave up and left the writing where it was and drew a tiny arrow to the spot where it should have been.  Now it looks like Bronx and Jaxson were the same height when they were born (which is not true, Bronx was 3.5 inches longer).  And Bronx's growth chart has a more wrinkled, washed look to it (and is slightly shrunk), while Jaxson's is still fresh and flat.  Oh well.  You really can't tell in the pictures, can you?

The lines on the chart are supposed to be exactly one inch apart, but they aren't perfect, so it looks like the chart is lying... :)  As the numbers get higher, the measurements are more accurate, but the bottom is a few inches off.  That's okay.  I don't intend to use these for measuring!

Overall, I LOVE them!  This was a fun project and it's fun to finally have something cute hanging in their room!

EDIT:  Would you like one of these for yourself?  Check out my listing on Etsy to order your own custom made growth chart!  Click HERE.


Edited again, 6/13/14:  Linking up with Fort Worth Fabric Studio's "Oh Sew Baby" series.  Check it out!

Fort Worth Fabric Studio

1 comment: