I made more bibs. ;) I know you've seen a million of these, but I need to document them so I don't forget I made them!
These were for my nephew, who just turned one. My boys are 20 months old and we use ours ALL THE TIME. I love that they are really big, and they are easy to throw in the wash when they get dirty (I'm not really a fan of those plastic bibs).
Anywho. Here they are. Since we love Connor so much, he got three:
My brother and sister-in-law have a little dog, so I went with some dog themed fabrics I've been saving up.
I couldn't just use one whole piece for this one. I had to add the strip down the middle and quilted some pebbles into it. I've found that my favorite bibs are the ones that are a little more heavily quilted (but not too much) - enough to help the bib hold it's shape a little bit and not turn floppy.
Connor's nursery is Noah's Ark themed. This is the best "Noah's Ark" fabric I had on hand. It's not my favorite - it was given to me by a friend, but it does have all those animals on it.
I tried something a little new and free motion quilted Connor's name on this one.
This last fabric was actually too cute to break up, so it got to remain whole.
For this bib, I quilted around each of the ovals, giving the bib a kind of bubbly feel.
See the bubbles?
And NOW for the OTHER part of this post. I need some advice!
When these bibs were opened at Connor's birthday party, several people (including a grandma who frequently shops at Etsy, and an uncle - believe it or not) commented on how I could totally sell these. It really got me thinking.
I've been toying with the idea of starting an Etsy shop and selling things for awhile now. I think those comments were the push I needed to get serious about it. I've mentioned the idea to several friends and family members and everyone seems to think it's a great idea. At this point, I think I'm going to do it! I'll probably stick to smaller things that will hopefully sell easily - bibs, burp cloths, onesies, maybe even some quiet books. I'm thinking of making a few baby quilts - maybe rag quilts because they are easier (and thus cheaper) or puff quilts, because they are a little more novel. I've always been a little nervous about making quilts to sell because I would have to charge so much in order to be compensated for my time. What do you think? Is it worth it? Will people pay?
Well, the ball is rolling in my mind and I think there is no stopping now. Except for one thing. I can't think of a good name! Help! What is a good name for an Etsy shop selling mostly sewn baby items? I've considered going with my blog name, but I'm not sold on the idea. What are your thoughts?
*ETA* I've done a little research into what names are still available on Etsy. These are a few that I am thinking of:
ModernBabyStitches
BabyStitched
AlwaysSewinSomethin
SewinSomethin
StitchedForBaby
BabyMaking (hubby's idea - he said it was more memorable)
I've added a poll to the top of my sidebar, if you have a second - go vote! I'd love to know what you think!
You totally should do an Etsy! I'm excited to see what you put up there! I love BabyMaking, by the way. :) Or something that uses/combines your boys' names?
ReplyDeleteAll these names are good. From a marketing view point try them on google. The predictive text will tell you if the are commonly searched- if there is no predictive text, this is not how people search for baby items. Also have the word baby... first in your title. These are little SEO trick from a professional marketer- hobby crafter.
ReplyDelete