Friday, October 4, 2013

Character Pillows

I've been dying to share these with you!  They've been finished for quite awhile now, but since they were birthday presents for my two sisters, the final post had to wait.

One of my sisters is an avid Harry Potter fan, the other is a huge Dr. Who lover.  So, naturally, I started searching the web for Potter/Who ideas.  I found some paper pieced patterns, but had no idea what I would use them for, so I kept searching.  Finally, I came across this super cute etsy site:  Heart Felt Design.  Seriously, go check it out - she makes these ADORABLE character pillows.  Of course, I wanted to make mine myself.  So I did.  See:


I sat down and made up my own paper pieced patterns for the Potter and Dr. faces.  No, I won't be sharing them with anyone, and no, I won't make these to sell.  I already feel a little guilty for copying Heart Felt Design's idea. Of course, my pillows are paper pieced with cotton, hers are appliqued with felt, but still. 

Here is Harry, all squared up and ready to go.  He is about 16 inches square.

Of course, I couldn't stop there.  I had to go back and try out those paper pieced designs that started me on this road in the first place.  I found both of my small designs at Fandom in Stitches.  It's an awesome place.  The HP Snitch pattern comes from THIS page.  There were some pretty tiny pieces, but I think it turned out okay.

Here is Harry with his mini block:

And here is Harry the pillow.  Isn't he cute?

The mini block went on the back of the pillow, so now it is "reversible."  :)


Next up, Dr. Who.  I haven't had a chance to watch Dr. Who yet, so I'm hoping this is an accurate representation of Dr. #10.  Can you tell?  His bow tie came out a little wonky, but I wasn't about to go back and redo it.  And those triangles in the corners?  Those are elbow patches, thank you very much.

For my mini Dr. Who block, I had to go for the tardis.  My original plan was to make THIS one, but in the end I decided it had too many pieces.  So I went with THIS one from Fandom in Stitches.  Unfortunately, this pattern had some TINY pieces and my papers kept ripping and nothing lined up properly.  My middle section turned out HORRIBLE.  SO I scrapped it and started over again, this time skipping a few parts and simplifying the whole thing.  The overall block still turned out a little crazy, but much better...

Here is the Dr. with his mini-block:

And here is Dr. pillow:

And the back, with an easy envelope closure:

I'm a little jealous that I don't get to keep them for myself.  

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over how cute these are. Every time I see my Harry Potter pillow on my bed it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete