I'm joining in the One Block Wonder Quilt-Along hosted by Jen at Quilter in the Closet. Check out her blog for more information on how to make a quilt like this:
Basically, this quilt is made from a single fabric, strategically cut and sewn back together. I cheated a little bit, because I didn't have any cuts of fabric on hand that were big enough. So I used two similar fabrics from the same line.
First I made 14 hexagons from this African Mask fabric:
| Before |
| After |
Isn't amazing how much it changes?
Then I made 12 more hexagons using this African Patchwork cheater print:
| Before |
| After |
When I had all my blocks ready, I mixed them all up and sewed them together!
| I was going for a sort of gradual "black to white" look |
Since I ended up using less than a yard of fabric total (as opposed to the 3 or 4 yards recommended for a full size quilt), and the fact that I cut my triangles smaller than the size given in the book (in order to get as many repeats as possible) my quilt top is pretty small. About 20 x 24 with 24 total Hexies.
| Just a little glamour shot in our gorgeous fall back yard... |
I'm really not sure what to do with it at this point. I could add a border to it (I'm thinking a solid black border, then another border using leftovers from the same prints) and make it a throw quilt. Or I could turn it into a big pillow. I think I'm going to do something I rarely do - put this one aside for awhile and let it simmer while I think about what to do with it. What do you think?
| The black and gold gives it kind of a Halloween look, doesn't it? Especially when you notice the block towards the bottom with the creepy eyes... Happy October! |
This was a really fun quilt to make and I would love to make another, larger one someday. Thanks for the inspiration Jen!
Check out the link-up HERE. It will be open until October 30th, and then VOTING BEGINS! I can't wait to see what everyone else has come up with!

Well even though you used two prints, I think this one turned out FABULOUS! So creative and such a good use of such small cuts of fabric. And I know you didn't ask, I'm giving my border opinion...I would do a small thin black border, then another small matching yellow border and then a larger black border, that would look so good!!!!! It really is great, good job!
ReplyDeleteI like that border idea too!
DeleteBeautiful! I've been enjoying this quilt along! I'm going to ask for the book and some fabric for Christmas so I can play too! I love the pop of yellow in the one hexagon!
ReplyDeleteLove your quilt and the fact that you used what you had. I think it would make a wonderful Halloween banner/flag.
ReplyDeleteFabulous, simply fabulous! I love how it turned out, and you are right, your backyard is gorgeous this time of year. A great backdrop for taking a pic of this quilt top. Way to go.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous photo out in the fall leaves!
ReplyDelete