First of all, for the month of May, I asked my bee mates in the Humility group of Do.Good Stitches to make me mostly monochromatic Broken Herringbone blocks. It was so much fun receiving these little packages throughout the month! They all turned out so awesome. Here they are all arranged by color on the living room floor:
I knew that I wanted to try an offset layout with half of the blocks on one side of the quilt and half on the other. After lots of deliberation, I decided to sort the blocks into warm and cool colors.
Here is the warm side:
And here is the cool side:
What do you think? I wanted something with lots of negative space and offset blocks. I also thought this might be a genius way to try quilting "echo blocks" in the negative space. Basically, I quilted the warm colored blocks (which created the echo look on the cool colored side), then flipped the quilt around and did the same for the other side. This quilt is totally reversible, I love it.
Sandra (at least, I think it was Sandra - correct me if I'm wrong please!!), a member of our group, ordered some Do.Good Stitches labels from Spoonflower (I think?) and sent me a couple. Thanks Sandra! Since this quilt doesn't really have a back, I stuck it in the top right corner next to the greens.
For the quilting, I chose five different skinny filler patterns and quilted them in the skinny sashing of each block. My original plan was to stitch in the ditch for ALL of those little sashings, but after outlining each block I decided I really wasn't excited about the idea of all that shifting and turning, so I went with FMQ instead. And then I decided it wasn't worth it to add more quilting once those were done.
Also, after much debate I chose to use this silver/gray thread because I wanted something that would blend in with the white but still be seen on the gray. In hindsight, I think I should have used a slightly darker gray for a more subtle look in the negative space.
What do you think? Does it need more quilting? More straight lines? Different thread color?
| This photo turned out a little bit blue - the real quilt is more gray. |
I wanted a nice gray for my background, so I ordered a whole bunch and was half way through assembling my quilt tops when I realized I had grossly miscalculated the amount I needed! GAH! Since I was too impatient to wait for more to arrive, I went to Joanns and picked up the closest match I could find for one of the sides. They aren't exactly the same, but it's really hard to tell most of the time.
For binding, I kept things super simple for myself and just folded the "back" over onto the front and machine stitched it down. Now, I really want to know what you guys think about this quilt! I took some risks and tried an idea that has been floating around in my head. I wanted something really modern and I think I found it. However, most of the people I have showed it to so far - mostly family members - don't really like it at all. Which is fine. This quilt is for charity - not for any of my family members, so it doesn't really matter if they like it or not. I like it, and I'm not offended at all if others don't like it. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious. What do YOU think? Love it? Hate it? Do you wish I had put all the blocks on the front? Done different quilting? Used a different background color? I'd love to know!
Truth Tea is welcome here! ;)
And just for fun, a few more shots. Thanks for humoring me!
I took these two shots in my backyard, and they look kind of cool with the sunlight shining through in spots.
And one shot of it post basting (LOVING spray baste lately), pre quilting.
Quilt stats:
Started: May 2014
Finished: July 11, 2014
Pieced by: Members of the Humility Circle of Do.Good Stitches
Quilted by me
Finished size: 72" x 62"
Recipient: Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota
Binding: Backing folded to front and stitched by machine
This is finish #14 in this quarter's Finish-Along. (Original list can be found HERE.)
Also linking up with Kelly at Needle and Thread Thursday:

And Alyce at Sew Cute Tuesday:
And Randi at Show and Tell Tuesday:
And Lindsey at Fabric Frenzy Friday:




LOVE IT!!!! I've been trying to figure out what to do with a lot of personal bee blocks, and this is genius for two different sets. All paper pieced stars but in two different color ways. So genius and I'm sure whomever receives this quilt will absolutely love it.
ReplyDeleteWow! I love how you did the warm and the cool on opposite sides! I was May quilter for my group and I'm assembling the quilt now. This is an inspiration to get it done. Just stunning!!!
ReplyDeleteHey girl! You did our blocks proud ; ) It's lovely
ReplyDeleteI think this quilt is cool! I love how it is double sided and your quilting is perfect. Trying new techniques and donating to charity sound perfect.
ReplyDeleteI think your layout and the warm / cool side alternate quilting is brilliant! Your risk taking paid off big time! I am glad you shared this on Needle and Thread Thursdays!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine how anyone could not LOVE this! SO cool.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome quilt! This design is a wonderful way to use negative space!! And your quilting is perfect, love it!
ReplyDeleteLOVE!
ReplyDeleteI think it is great, but I can see how it is outside of the norm of what many people think of for quilts.
ReplyDeletei really like the idea of some blocks on the front and some on the back. I think you did great
ReplyDeleteI love that you made it reversible! This looks amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love it, Tiffany. And I love that you just jump in and try new things. You're amazing!
ReplyDeleteTiffany- Coming over from our Humility group! I really like what you did with all these blocks- the color collected in warms and cools, making it reversible, folding the back over for your binding, the sparkly thread!! Glad to see more pics of our fabulous quilt. A great block that I appreciate you introducing me to.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of splitting the blocks and putting them on both sides of the quilt. Really - the true meaning of reversible.
ReplyDeleteI love it. I love the idea of putting cool colours on one side and warm on the other. I love lots of negative space. And I think grey is a nice choice for a background, especially if you have very colourful blocks.
ReplyDelete