Thursday, May 19, 2016

WHW RS Sampler Quilt Class: Block 5: Pinwheel (Half Square Triangles)

This week we are talking about Half Square Triangles, or HSTs!  When I first started quilting, I was scared of these, but now I love them!  There are SOOOO many things you can do with them.  :)

There are TONS of tutorials out there for making HSTs.  My favorite is THIS ONE from Blossom Heart Quilts, because she shows us several ways to make them, PLUS she gives us the math we need to make them in ANY size. (Scroll to the bottom of her post for a link to more HST tutorials.)  :)

We'll be making a pinwheel using just 4 HSTs, but if you are willing to make a few extra (it seems like 16 is the magic number), look at all the awesome blocks you could make - all from the exact same beginning units:
https://materialgirlquilts.com/2014/02/07/layer-cake-sampler-quilt-along/
Material Girl Quilts

For the alternate block, I'll show you how to make sixteen HSTs so you can make one of the above blocks.  :)

And for your inspiration, here are a bunch of full quilts made entirely out of HSTs:
Sew Katie Did

Margaret's Hope Chest

ME!

Diary of a Quilter

Quilting is More Fun than Housework
 
Sew Stormy

Making More With Less

Red Pepper Quilts

My HST blocks haven't actually been sewn together yet, so I'll share them with next week's post!

Here are the instructions for the HST blocks:  WHW RS Quilt Class:  Block 5: Pinwheel

No comments:

Post a Comment