Way back in August, Christina at A Few Scraps announced that she was going to have a quilt-along. And not just any quilt-along. A free motion quilting quilt-along. It was perfect! Exactly what I needed since I was just figuring out this whole quilt-on-a-regular-sewing-machine thing. So I jumped on board (except, I never actually signed up - I guess I am more of a stow-away...).
The plan was to make an ugly quilt top using only fabric from our stash. NO buying new fabric for this one! So I put together this quilt top:
Looking back, I really should have just used solids for the whole thing. I LOVE this blue dots/squares fabric, but it is way too busy and now I can't see the quilting designs over it.
I should have used the blue for something else. I guess I was worried I would run out of solid. Well, I still have QUITE a bit of it left...
I didn't have enough fabric for the back, but I DID have a ton of totally randomly shaped pieces of heavy duty green "upholstery" fabric that I figured I would never ever use otherwise. So I pieced them all together for a very heavy quilt back. (Don't judge too harshly... It's not like I was planning on giving this quilt away to someone.)
And here's the best part. At the time, I also didn't have enough batting but I DID have a ton of left over felt from a time when I made a horrible miscalculation and bought about 4 times what I needed. So... don't tell anyone... but I used felt (also pieced together) instead of regular batting. This turned out to be one funky, heavy, stiff quilt. That's for sure.
Here is the final product:
What? You can't see any of the quilting? I KNOW! So here is a picture of the back:
I have officially decided that I am NEVER going to give this quilt away. I would be too embarrassed. Instead, I am going to keep it for my own reference. There are a LOT of flaws - TONS of places where my thread tension was bad, not to mention the fact that I ran out of blue and green thread (which is really hard to see on a green back anyway) and ended up using a whole lot of yellow and red - with no particular rhyme or reason. And for future reference - I should NEVER use two different colors for the top thread and bobbin thread.
The quilt-along consisted of lots of different types of quilting and it was really interesting to see what worked for me and what didn't. There were a few surprises - some of the designs I hated seeing on paper turned out great on the quilt, others turned out much worse than I expected. I am definitely not good at anything that echoes the shape of something, and meandering is still the easiest - although there were a lot of line designs that I think I could use.
With that said, here are a few close ups of designs that I am now able to quilt:
Feathers
Pebbles (these are my good ones)
Sprirals and more Spirals
I really liked this flower and sun, but the thread tension was REALLY bad and I REALLY didn't want to undo all of it. Another reason I can't give this one away.
Meandering
Square meandering
Scallops. I didn't like these as much as I thought I would.
Lines. If you look really closely, you can see the (upside down) treble clefs and stars
Loops
And words...
Since these are backwards, I thought I would show you one of them front the front. Look closely!
And there you have it! Now I can start a NEW project. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment