This is probably a silly post (and I have been posting a LOT lately - with even more to come), but I am so excited right now.
I went to WalMart today to do some routine grocery shopping. You know. Milk, bread, new seam ripper. The usual. My old seam ripper somehow got shoved in a drawer it didn't want to be in and this is what happened:
It was a sad day. Even sadder - I've been using it like this for months now! Well, I got fed up with it and bought a new one. I KNOW you want to see a picture of it. It's purple:
And it comes with a lid! I had forgotten seam rippers were supposed to have lids...
Anyway. That is not the point of the story. The point of the story is that while walking (quickly) past the fabric section (I wouldn't want to get distracted), I noticed a whole section of fabric on sale for $1.50 a yard!!! Unheard of!! SO, I bought my groceries and came back to check out the selection. I ended up getting a whole bunch of yard cuts. Not sure EXACTLY what I'll use them for, but I'm sure I'll find something.
Remember THIS post? Well, I have recently discovered that there are quite a few people out there who still buy the cheap fabric over the more expensive, name brand, high quality fabric. That was nice to know. It looks like I will continue buying cheap fabric most of the time, with an occasional splurge on something I REALLY want (like the PURE charm packs I used to make THIS quilt).
However, this fabric isn't exactly "JoAnn" cheap - it's "Walmart" cheap. And I am totally aware that the quality of the fabric is not as great as it could be (especially with those pinks and blues - they are very thin). But for $1.50 a yard? I just couldn't pass it up!
I'm pretty sure I bought enough fabric to make at least 2 baby quilts (tops AND backs) and one large quilt. All for less than HALF the amount I spent to make THIS quilt! Maybe I should go back for more. I tried to find some greens and yellows, but there wasn't really THAT much to choose from. I'm still just in shock.
Now, I hope I haven't offended anyone - particularly those who sell fabric online. Someday, when I am a professional quilter, :) I PROMISE to buy that Moda or Robert Kaufman, or whatever kind of nice fabric I have had my eyes on. But for now, this is the only way to fuel my hobby...
Want to see what I got? Well, okay.
These are going to be added to my ever growing stash of pink and blue "baby quilt" fabric. Except, one of them is purple.
I bought these because I wanted to buy something NOT pastel. I have always wanted to make something black and white with only one other color thrown in. Looks like it will be red! I'm not a huge fan of leapord print, but that's okay since I will probably be cutting this into lots of pieces when I figure out what to do with it.
This one I just like! It will probably match NOTHING, but it has a very nice thick texture and I just like it.
All in all, I ended up with 11 yards of fabric for $17. You would be excited too.
On a side note, I won a couple of giveaways! Yay! (I'm as shocked as you are...)
I won this from Staci at The Confused Quilter:
And THESE lovely fabrics are from Kaelin at The Plaid Scottie. She calls it her "Saturated Rainbow" fat quarter bundle. I LOVE it and the colors are right up my alley! I think the purple is actually my favorite, since I have NOTHING purple yet. Plus, Kaelin is from New Orleans! Anyone who knows me personally will understand why that is significant.
I can't wait to make something with them!
yeay for cheap and inexpensive fabric! Barak tells me if I just don't look than I won't know what I'm missing. But it's hard to go into a store and not just "glance" at what they have. Always my down fall . . .
ReplyDeleteYou know, if you're bored or something, I could definitely use some curtains in my apartment . . .
ReplyDelete