Monday, June 20, 2011

The Real Reason I Started Sewing...

It's time for the truth to come out!  My whole life I have wanted more than anything to be a MOM.  When the hubby and I first got married, we knew we wanted to wait a little while to have kids, though.  We were both still in school and I was going to be a teacher - not the best source of income, plus I wanted to have a year or two to try it out and see if I really liked it or not.
WELL.  About two years ago, I finally sat him down and we made a plan.  We weren't QUITE ready (hubby still had a long way to go in school), but we made a PLAN!  That was a good feeling.  And then the time came when it was almost time to start trying.  I was so excited I almost couldn't stand it!  Hubby went to China for two weeks and I decided to occupy my time making a few baby sized quilts - just for the fun of it.  I had already made my first jean quilt a few years before and remembered some research I had done about rag quilts.

So that is where I started.  This is what I came up with first.  I'm kind of embarrassed by it, but there you have it.

Then Hubby came home and I convinced him to let me make another one - he even came with me to pick out fabric.  This was my second shot at a rag quilt.  Much better.

And from then on, I was hooked.  I discovered the world of quilt blogs and haven't turned back since!

But the whole obsession started with a desire to make something in hopes that we would have a baby soon.
Well, now we are another year later and I am happy to report that my second dream (second to marrying my sweetheart) has come true!  I'm going to be a mom!  And the best part is... there are two!  I couldn't be more excited.  I just started a new quilt project - matching baby quilts.  Rainbow colored for now, since we don't know the genders yet.  One of these days, I will have to try making some little clothes!  I hope we have at least one girl...
I made these little stockings to tell our parents with.  We gave two to each of the Dads for Father's Day.  It took both of them awhile to figure out what they were for, but once they did, they loved them!  I'm due right around Christmas, so I figured this was the perfect way to make our big announcement.  Plus, I got to try out freezer paper piecing for the first time - it went great!

And for those who want to see, here is our babies' first picture.  Aren't they amazing?

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting, and twins, what a blessing. My husband is a twin and it has been a really special experience for him! Can't wait to see the quilt progress too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love that ultrasound pic! And that was such a cute idea to tell your families about the exciting news!

    ReplyDelete