I think the hardest part of the quilting process for me is deciding how to quilt a quilt! That's why it takes me so long to finish! (Well, that and basting...). I've been debating how to quilt my twin rainbow quilts. Ever since I finished my Free Motion Quilt Along, I have wanted to actually incorporate some of the designs in a real quilt! Look, I even came up with this:
I tried about half a block, using my white thread, and it looked terrible! I should have taken a picture. The white thread just stands out way to much on the solid colors. I never really anticipated the solids to be a problem. I have a few colored threads, but I REALLY don't want to have to switch thread colors every 3 minutes, plus most of them don't match too well.
SO. I had this great idea to try rainbow colored variegated thread. I must have bought the wrong kind, because it was having ALL KINDS of issues in my machine. Finally I relented and decided this thread will have to be for hand sewing ONLY.
I even tried hand quilting a few blocks:
This took FOREVER! I'm just not that patient - plus, I REALLY don't have the right tools to hand quilt. I suppose I could do it if I really liked the way it looks... But I'm not completely sold. I feel like such a pessimist!
I think what I will do is get my white thread out and just do an overall meandering pattern that won't detract so much from the solid colors. Maybe I could throw in a few stars or loops. I can do a fancy pattern on some other quilt...
On another note, I made my first pieced backs! I was very much set on using fabric I had ON HAND for these quilts. I didn't have much white left, so I supplemented with the cheapo fabric I used to make my classroom's chair pockets several years ago. This stuff has gone a long way for me! It was kind of fun to work on the backs. It was a good chance for me to experiment. The whole thing was pretty improv. I just kept adding more until I filled the space that I needed to fill.
The pictures might look a little funny - I laid them on top of my quilt tops to make sure they were bit enough. I kinda like them!
I think that your backs turned out GREAT!! Good luck with your quilting!
ReplyDeleteNow I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you can get clear thread, it might be called monofilament (it might not!), but it is available...
ReplyDelete