The hubby finally came home early enough to watch a movie with me! (Although, I had to watch another one this afternoon...) I finally finished binding my second rainbow quilt (I've been calling them that even though they don't really have ALL the colors of a rainbow, but the name stuck).
I think I'm not a huge fan of sewing binding down by hand. It takes so much longer and I'm not convinced I'm very good at it. However, sometimes necessity calls. I bound my puff quilt by hand because I didn't think my machine could handle all the bulk. In this case, I decided to use 1 1/2 inch strips for my binding. I know. I must have been crazy - that is SUPER thin. But I had TONS of 1 1/2 inch strips left over from making the blocks and not enough fabric to cut 2 1/2 inch strips. So I decided to work with what I had. I don't think it turned out too bad - plus I like the scrappy look on these quilts. The binding is super skinny and it was a little harder to sew on by hand (more pulling), but I made it work!
As for quilting, I finally just decided to go with my regular old meandering. And I'm glad I did. I think it looks kind of cool with the quilting only in the sashing - makes the blocks pop. Granted, the quilts probably needed more quilting (they are pretty puffy), but I DID do a little bit of stitching in the ditch for the inner squares.
Here they are before I washed them:
And here they are fresh out of the drier!
Now they are SUPER puffy!
I used two different battings. I can't really tell anymore which was which... One was cotton/poly, the other was 100% poly
On another note, the hubby's grandpa brought down a cedar chest full of old quilts for my Mother-in-Law. It was kind of fun looking at all the old quilts made by my hubby's great-grandmother. There was one made from blocks each of the grandkids had painted. It was a lot of fun to see. But the best part? There were a few baby blankets in there, and Grandpa INSISTED I take one for my babies! I was quite delighted with this one
... it was made a long time ago, and it's kind of old fashioned - does that make it vintage? I never really get these things. The reason I LOVE it, though, is because I had a blanket just like this one growing up. It was the one I slept with every night until I got married. :) I think mine was supposed to be blue (it is now gray), but it had that silky fabric that no one uses anymore, AND it was hand quilted. Naturally, I am super excited that my little boys will have one of their own as well - to share, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment