Friday, March 22, 2013

Sew Thinky: Sewing gifts

This weeks' Sew Thinky Thursday question is:

Who do you like to sew for the most?

That's an easy, yet complicated question.  The answer is:  Anyone who will let me!  I've been really into embellishing towels or burp cloths for weddings or baby showers.



If the baby shower is for a really good friend (too bad most of my friends had their first babies before I got into quilting), I'll make a quilt.


But when it comes to full-size quilts, those so far have only been for family.  Making a full size quilt is a HUGE investment and takes a lot of time and even more money.  Only the most important people in my life get quilts from me - at this point.  I'd love to be good enough/fast enough/stashed enough to make quilts for other people someday.  :)



Of course, I'm always looking for excuses to make something for my kids.  And I'm always on the lookout for cute boy fabric.





Looking back, it seems like the most gifted person so far has been my sister.  She's graduated from college and lives in a little place of her own, so naturally she needs lots of stuff to put in it.  And when she gets married, I'll just have to make another quilt for her. ;)

Hello Sun mini quilts
Of course, I DID recently make this donation quilt for our local Veteran's Home.  It has been my first experience making something big (twin size) to give to someone I'll probably never meet.

 I have loved working on it, and I'm sad to give it away.  But when you really come down to the cold, honest truth you find out that I really sew for one person.  Myself.  I do it because I love to do it.  Those people who are recipients of my crazy hobby are just lucky.

Linking up!

p.s. In case you haven't heard already - my Quilt of Valor is part of the Something New Sampler over at The Cute Life.  There is still ONE DAY left to hop over and vote for your favorite finish.  Voting ends at midnight on Friday, March 22nd.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany, I love everything that you've showcased in this post and I think your Something NEW Sampler is fabulous - it was my favourite to win. You completed all 9 of the block designs on the blog hop and better still did them twice over and some extras too and then sashed/bordered/fmq'd and bound it in the short time frame, just amazing!!! Whoever receives that quilt is incredibly lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best answer ever! I agree, I think we all do quilt for ourselves out of the enjoyment and accomplishment of doing it. :) Also, that pieced soccer ball is awesome!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete