Thursday, June 20, 2013

Oven Mitts

I used to own own a pair of oven mitts (store bought).  And then, within a week, both of them split seams and ended up in the garbage due to a couple of burned hands.

So I got to make some new ones!  I've been waiting for the perfect project for this green argyle and this was definitely it.  The pink dots were a perfect match and I LOVE how they turned out!   I'm a little bit excited to go back something now...


I used THIS tutorial from Skip To My Lou, which was excellent.  Although next time I will have to cut my pieces at least an inch bigger before quilting them.  I had some raw edges that didn't quite make it into the seams.

The argyle was perfect for straight line quilting, while the dots called for meandering.

I didn't have enough of the green to cover the back, so I used up the last of my precious herringbone instead.

Of course, I couldn't stop there!  In my search for the perfect tutorial, I came across THIS one from Help Me Hanna for finger mitts/hot pads.  The tutorial was well written, although I chose to make my own bias tape and I made it WAY too skinny!  (Next time - make it much wider than 1.25")  I really struggled getting it to wrap around all 7 layers and sort of rushed to finish so they don't look as good as they should.  But I love how the colors play together!   

And now the sewing machine is all packed up :( waiting to be moved to our new home. :)  Hopefully I'll be back at it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment