Have you seen Amy's post (and link-up) about her Quilty Secrets?
It got me thinking, and without further ado, here are my top 10 "Quilty Secrets:"
1. I rarely pin. But after reading a few other "Quilty Secret" lists, I would say this is more like the norm (well, either that or sewing over pins). :)
2. I do most of my cutting with my cutting board on my ironing board or on the floor. I think I'm supposed to use a hard surface or something?
3. Not really a fan of Cotton+Steel. Or Liberty. Or Aneela Hoey. SORRY!! I've also never really been a fan of scrap quilts.
4. Sometimes I let the twins scatter my buttons all over my sewing room just so I can have a few extra minutes of sewing time. Not to mention the fact that letting them watch a few episodes of Dora or Blues Clues every day is becoming alarmingly more common. I used to try so hard to limit my sewing time to times when they were NOT awake. And I feel guilty letting them watch so much TV. But as they get older and take fewer naps (almost none now), it's just SO HARD. Sometimes I just have to be a bad mom for an hour or so. ;) It's for my sanity.
5. I don't really like the post-wash crinkly look. I prefer flat an crisp and I don't like the way washing my quilts changes the way the quilting looks.
6. I press open 90% of the time. I had a couple of ladies freak out about this once at a sewing night (I was even pressing my HSTs open - gasp!) so I have tried pressing to the side a few times since. It works okay for me, but I just can't quite get the hang of it. Also, I love ironing.
7. I don't really have UFOs. I prefer to finish things completely before starting new things. My to-do list, on the other hand, is quite another story...
8. Rotary blades and needles - changing them is like pulling teeth. I don't have a problem cleaning out my machine every now and then, but that's because I do that for free.
9. I've tried machine stitching binding and was convinced for awhile that it was the way to go because it's so fast. Then I learned how to stitch binding by hand and realized how much better it looks (at least, compared to MY machine binding). Now I hand bind EVERYTHING and I love it.
10. Sometimes I use polyester batting. I know. It's really not as bad as others make it seem. :)
Now how about you? What are your "Quilty Secrets?"
Wanna see some more? Check out the link-up HERE.

I am so bad at changing my rotary blades too.
ReplyDeleteI have twin boys too (although mine are teenagers now) and remember how busy they were as toddlers. Don't feel even a tiny bit guilty about letting them watch some TV! :-) A happy mom makes a happy home!
ReplyDeleteyou are supposed to press to the side, because opening a seam means there is nothing but a line of thread between the batting and the opening. Batt can migrate out this tiny opening. It's not as strong. Don't worry about letting the kids watch tv... you need to take care of you too! Who else will?? LeeAnna at not afraid of color
ReplyDeleteIf you don't like the crinkly post wash look, then you SHOULD use poly batting - it doesn't shrink!
ReplyDelete