Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Do.Good Stitches October: Flying Geese

I finally finished it!  And since I'm an impatient photographer, these are the best photos I was able to get in the afternoon light on our foot of crusty two week old snow...

Here is the quilt that was made by the members of the Humility circle of Do.Good stitches:

I was in charge of October and I asked everyone to make any blocks they liked, in any size, as long as it was made of flying geese.  I love what we ended up with!


I asked for these colors, with low volume fabrics for the background.
 

 Then I pieced them all together puzzle style, with plenty of low volume fabrics in the extra spaces. 

For the quilting, I decided to keep things simple/quick/easy and went with a large stipple.

Wanna hear a secret?  I pieced together 8 or 9 batting scraps for this quilt.  I had a bunch of polyester pieces left over from other stuff and I wanted to use them up.  They were not even all the same loft/brand!  But you know what?  You can't tell now.  Whew.
The only problem I had was that I had to rebaste (I spray basted) a few times and even then there were a few wonky spots.  Which only I can see now.  :)

Even though I tried to keep this quilt gender neutral, I had this big cut of pink fabric that just seemed to match the best, so I used it for the backing.  

 When it came time for binding, I knew I needed to go scrappy.  And I still prefer hand binding, so that's what I did!  Next time I think I should really try for a machine stitched binding to get more practice.  But for now, sewing machine time is at a premium and sitting around watching TV (or watching my boys take a bath, or whatever) is more abundant.  :)
And of course, I BARELY remembered to add the label!

This quilt will be donated to a Junior's House in Tennessee, where it will be passed on to a child who has been a victim of abuse or neglect.  I hope it will bring lots of warmth and love!

Quilt stats:
Started: October/November 2014
Finished: January 26, 2015
Fabrics: Various
Batting:  Various polyester scraps stitched together
Finished size: 49" x 68"
Recipient: Junior's House
Methods used:  Piecing, Free Motion Quilting (on my home machine)
Binding:  Machine stitched to front, hand stitched to back

P.S. this was my January goal for ALYOF, so I will be linking up HERE:
http://blog.sewbittersweetdesigns.com/?page_id=5263

P.P.S My goal for February is to finish up this puff quilt:




This was also project #1 for the Finish Along (original post HERE), and I will be linking up HERE:

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side


4 comments:

  1. it looks great! You did a brilliant job bringing all those blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun quilt!
    Looks great!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! Flying geese look the best mixed like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely. I've been wanting to do a flying geese quilt for some time. It's on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete