Wahoo! Because the blocks are all so different and we don't want them to get all muddled together, I highly recommend assembling then with sashing (the thin strips of fabric between the blocks, creating a sort of frame around each block).
At our quilt class last week, rather than give exact measurements for our particular quilt, I explained how to calculate and prepare sashing strips for ANY quilt. There is even an alternate method for creating sashing. the instructions I made are attached at the end of this pout.
I also found some great resources for you all if, in case you need more inspiration or guidance for assembling your quilt with sashing:
This is an awesome article about sashing:
![]() |
| Craftsy |
![]() |
| Craftsy |
| Sew Fresh Quilts |
A few more pictures of pretty quilts with sashing:
| A Quilting Life |
![]() |
| A Little Bit Biased |
Once your quilt is assembled and you know exactly what size it ends up, it's time to prepare your backing and batting so that you are ready for the quilting process.
Again, I prepared a (pretty extensive) handout explaining all your options here and attached it at the end of this post.
Basically, you need a piece of batting that is at least 2"larger than your quilt top all the way around, and a backing that is at least 4" larger than your quilt top all the way around.
I found some awesome links for you with some ideas for preparing your backing, particularly if you want to piece it to save money. Check them out:
Holly has a some great tips for creating pieced backs here:
![]() |
| Bits of Everything |
| Quilt Story/Nancy Noodle |
![]() |
| Cabbage Quilts |
![]() |
| Victoriana Quilt Designs |
ONE MORE NOTE - In the handout, I show you an alternate method of creating sashing by sewing sashing pieces onto two sides of your blocks, then assembling the blocks together as if there were no sashing. Another option similar to this one would be to sew a skinny border around all four sides of every block, then assemble the blocks together. :)
And here are the handouts
WHW RS Sampler Quilt Class: Sashing and Backing







Tiffany, you've put SO MUCH time and effort into this class!!! I've loved following along, but this one is probably my favorite lesson by far -- I love it! I'm im complete awe of you, I think it's so great you're doing this!
ReplyDelete