My mother-in-law has these pans too. She has a set of hot pads that she uses specifically for keeping in-between the pans when she stacks them. So they won't scrape each other. Kind of genius. The hubby decided we needed some too. He asked me to make some.
Wahoo! The hubby actually ASKED me to sew something! He loves it when I sew "useful" things. It's been nice working on these the past few days (weeks), because he wants me to finish as soon as possible (so we can actually open our new pans) and gives me plenty of time and space to work. :)
I'm calling them "pan pads" and I made 5. I thought it would be a fun chance to try out a couple blocks I've been eyeing lately. Especially since probably no one will see them. *Even though* probably no one will see them. It's probably silly that I went through so much work to make something no one will see, but hey. I had fun with them and now I know which blocks I don't like and how much I really like paper piecing (with freezer paper, of course - I'm still not converted to the regular method). :)
I also got to try out my new WALKING FOOT! Wahoo again! My awesome mom finally broke down and bought me a super nice walking foot that will fit my Bernina (and I'm super grateful. I know those things are expensive). THANKS MOM! I used it for all of the machine quilting, and the binding as well. It worked out great! I'm excited to try using it on something bigger.
The bindings were all sewn on completely by machine. I felt like I needed more practice with this technique. I'm getting there (and the walking foot seems to help a lot), but it's not perfect yet...
Here are my pan pads! The awesome thing was, they are all made entirely from my small scraps drawer! I used every LAST BIT of white that I had. Good times.
This one is my favorite. Circle of Geese paper piecing pattern found HERE. Simple outline quilting that looks cool on the back.
Chevrons. This one was a quickie. Paper piecing templates HERE. Outline quilting that took about a minute and a half to do. :)
DON'T LOOK TOO CLOSELY AT THE NEXT ONE!!! I've been dying to try this block for so long. However, the tutorial I found was for a 12 inch block and I wanted mine to be smaller. Long story short - lots of tiny pieces + a bunch of them cut 1/4 inch to small + attempting to use them anyway rather than cut new pieces (or go to the store for more white fabric) + rushing through the final steps and choosing not to square up each piece before assembling the block = DISASTER. It looks a little better now that it is quilted. I went for a super tight spiral in hopes that it would help hide the imperfections in this block. It turned out okay. The hubby admitted that it's "not my best work," but I suppose I will keep it.
Snail Trail block tutorial found HERE. Amazingly, this one is NOT paper pieced! It was also really quick! I'm thinking of incorporating this block into the borders on my Storm at Sea quilt.
Starburst pattern found HERE. The middle seam ended up SO bulky, though. I wonder how I could have avoided that?
I probably should have used white instead of brown for the snail trail block. Then it would have matched better. But that's okay. Remember how no one is going to see these anyway?
For the backs, I chose 5 larger pieces from my stash and used the stack and slash method to make 5 matching blocks. Hubby says they look like fronts. I guess my pan pads get to be double sided then. Especially the one with the spiral quilting - it's my favorite one.
Super cute! I have been meaning to make some "pan pads" too. I was thinking of making mine round. How are the square ones working out? I really like the block that has the spiral quilting. I didn't notice any imperfections.
ReplyDeleteLove that chevron one! I know, I know, everyone loves everything chevron right now.... but I just love it.
ReplyDeleteI love the circle of geese block, very pretty! And if you hadn't pointed out that there were flaws in that other block I never would have known. Those are a really good idea.
ReplyDelete