Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursday: My Style

Here is this week's question for Sew Thinky Thursday:


Describe your quilting style. Who or what influences you? How do you see your style changing over time?

I usually just describe my quilting style as "modern."  I know that is such a loose term, but I have never been a big fan of "traditional" quilts.  If it weren't for this modern quilting movement going on, I never would have found such a fun hobby.  I generally like my quilts bright and colorful, with lots of negative space and I love squares.  I also prefer the look of machine quilting over hand quilting.

As far as my style changing - I see a lot more paper piecing and applique in my future.  I used to be a strictly straight lines/regular piecing only kinda girl, but I am branching out and learning that paper piecing and applique (although they sometimes feel like cheating) are super easy and super fun. :)

I am mostly inspired by blogs.  I am almost entirely self-taught, so quilting blogs are pretty much THE reason I even own a sewing machine. ;)  I read a lot of blogs, but there are a few out there that stand out to me as having a quilting style that matches my own.  Some of my favorites right now are From the Blue Chair, Freshly Pieced, and The Elven Garden.

Of course, there is also Pinterest.  Here are a few of my favorite pins (at the moment).  I think these help define my personal quilting style:

SOURCE:  Sweet Jane Etsy Shop
SOURCE:  Film in the Fridge
SOURCE:  Elizabeth Hartman via Sew Mama Sew

SOURCE:  Nero's Post and Patch
SOURCE:  Kate Conklin Designs
SOURCE:  Kelby Sews Etsy Shop
SOURCE:  Geta's Quilting Studio
SOURCE:  Flourishing Palms

What about you?  What is your quilting style?  Write about it and link up HERE. 

1 comment:

  1. I admit I am very all over the place with my quilting, I like it all, except applique doesnt really excite me. I love love love scrappy and bright quilts....rainbow vomit! Its fantastic!

    ReplyDelete