Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursday: Something Meaningful

This week's question for Sew Thinky Thursday is:




What is the most meaningful thing you've ever made?
I should probably tell you that the most meaningful thing I've made was something for one of my kids (wait a minute - do kids count as "something meaningful I've made"?), but I really haven't made anything specifically for them, other than a few bibs and their growth charts.  I made a few baby quilts before they were born, but it's not quite the same when you don't even know what your baby's gender is yet. ;)
So far, the quilt that has meant the most to me is the Fandango quilt I made for my in-laws (My apologies to all those who have already seen this about a hundred times).

I worked on this quilt for a really long time (not having a deadline helps), so it was a big part of my life for awhile.  
I deliberated for a long time on fabric choices and then placement.  I really wanted this quilt to match the in-laws bedroom, as well as their personalities.  I think the deliberation payed off, because it fits in perfectly on their bed (despite the fact that it's a tad short - sigh).
I even ventured outside of my norm and tried some fancy quilting, which turned out great! 
The in-laws love it, which makes me super happy.  I am lucky to have amazing in-laws.  They have been so great to embrace me as an extra daughter and immerse me in their family.  They have taught me a lot about how to be a better person and how to have fun.  I really felt like they deserved something special, so this quilt was made with lots of love.
I still feel bad that it never got a proper photo shoot, these pictures don't do it justice.  Either way, it is one of my most favorite quilts ever. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics you've used and the quilting - it really is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic and is so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so pretty and it is great to make something for people you love so much and have taught you so much, thanks for sharing your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is gorgeous, the pattern, fabrics and wow to your quilting :)

    ReplyDelete