Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Shapes Quiet Book

I made another quiet book!  Hurray!  Now I kind of need one more to keep the number even (you know, because I have twins and everything must come in even numbers).

I want to make a series of books that focus on one concept, so I started with shapes.

I wanted to have some sort of shape matching element, but I also wanted the pages to be a little more interactive.  This is what I came up with:
Circle - turn the wheels on the car;  Rectangle - open the door to see the kid.

At first I attached ribbons to all of my loose shapes so they would NEVER be lost from the book (like THIS book I found on Etsy).  But after trying to use the book for one day the tangled ribbons drove me insane so I cut them all off and attached sticky velcro dots instead.  I'm a huge fan of sticky velcro dots now.
Heart - weaving practice;  Star - slide the "shooting star" along the string.

Can you see the error on my "Square" page?

 I didn't.  After all the time I spent sewing, photographing, and playing with it I finally had to have the error pointed out to my by a potential customer in my Etsy shop.  GAH!  So embarrassing!  I had that listing up for days before someone noticed it and pointed it out to me!  Normally I am quite proud of my spelling and proofreading skills.  But the good news is, this customer decided to buy a book anyway!  Wahoo!  You can bet everything will be spelled right this time around.  :)
Square - turn the pages in the book;  Triangle - open the tent flaps to see the bear.

EDIT:  I made a new Square page, but I have to leave the old pictures up here to remind myself to proofread a little better next time.  :)

Some of the pages in our other quiet books are starting to get a little fuzzy where the velcro sticks to the felt, so I tried something new this time.  I sewed a Ziplock baggie (name brand, not the cheap stuff - I didn't want it to rip) to the back for storing the extra shapes.  This way the sticky side of the velcro won't catch on the felt.  So far it's holding up pretty well.

The boys love it.  Especially once I taught them how to match the shapes.  They are both surprisingly good at it!  I LOVE it when my projects pass the toddler test.  :)

Next up:  Colors, letters, and numbers.  :)

This book is for sale in my shop HERE.  (With the correct spelling, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment