Monday, January 27, 2014

ALYOF: Snail Trail Blocks finished!

I finished all of the snail trail blocks for my Storm at Sea quilt!  Whew!  I didn't realize at first that there were going to be 56 blocks - all of them basically the SAME.  It did get a little monotonous (20 pieces per block, paper pieced - about 25 minutes per block), but I plugged away and finished them all!


Of course, there was a little snag along the way.  One night I decided to lay them all out with what I've got so far to see how they looked.  It's a good thing I did, because I discovered that half of the blocks I had made so far were WRONG!  The snails were pointing the wrong way.  That was a gut wrenching realization, for sure.  Luckily I caught it when I did and only had to unpick and resew about 14 blocks.  I could have just left them, but I've worked so hard on this quilt, I want it to turn out right.  So about a week's worth of TV watching with the hubby and the seam ripper, then another several days of nap time and they were all fixed.  I'm ready to move on!
Finally ready to resew

Big pile of unpicked pieces.

After putting the boys to bed the other night, I got everything out and laid it out in the living room.  This quilt is going to be SO BIG!  Seriously.  Huge.  I wanted it to be big enough to be a functional bed quilt (one that could actually be tucked in), and I think it might be big enough.  It better be.  ;)  I'm so excited to see my plans all coming together the way I envisioned them!

The only thing left is to fill in those gaps with diamond blocks, make a back, and quilt it.  I've been taking Ann Peterson's Craftsy course on quilting big quilts and I'm so excited to get started!  This has been an awesome class.  I bought it while it was on sale and I'm so glad I did!

SO.  In order to keep the ball rolling, my February ALOF goal will be to finish piecing all of the filler diamond blocks.  If the top gets assembled, that will be a definite bonus.  :)

January's goal setting post can be found HERE.

p.s. I'm still debating new names for this quilt.  I can't just call it "The Storm at Sea Quilt."  That's too boring.  I like the idea of something referring to a rainbow.  Right now I'm leaning towards "After the Storm."  What do you think?  Do you have a better idea for me?

Linking up!
A Lovely Year of Finishes

7 comments:

  1. Such fun blocks! And I love the colours you use. This is going to be beautiful. I'h happy to be your friend through Bloglovin', then I can see more of it as you work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just so darn amazing! I feel your pain on unpicking, well done for persevering. Itsis stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and layout for this block. Lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think "After the Storm" is great. Or "Rainbow After the Storm." It is such a beautiful quilt. You will always be so glad you took the time to rip and re-sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO beautiful!!!! I absolutely adore this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is absolutely beautiful and very neatly done. I imagine your sewing room to be in perfect order. Mine is organized but a wreck right now because I am USING IT! (ha ha) I will be keeping my eye on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete