Monday, January 6, 2014

do.Good Stitches December and January

No, I didn't send my December blocks late, just forgot to blog about them.  That's all.  Had to get that out there.

Anyway.  I finished two more months worth of bee blocks!  I've been having lots of fun working on these.  However, I'm surprised at how difficult it is to choose colors that I think will work with what my bee mates are looking for.  Particularly without adding to the stash.  :)  Everybody has their own interpretations of colors and I just hope that my fabric choices aren't too far off!

Here are my blocks for December.  Jaime asked for Japanese x and + blocks with bright, colorful fabrics and low volume background.   My interpretation was that she wanted fabrics with lots of different colors in them, rather than one tone fabrics.  Or just fabrics with bright colors.  Either way, this is what I ended up with, trying to use lots of bright, colorful fabrics but still trying to get them to look good together:
 Fabrics: Lots of old things from my stash - I do know that the egg fabric is Tula Pink. 
 Fabrics: More old stash picks.  Another Tula Pink egg and some Timeless Treasures Sketch Basics.

Since the first one ended up so pink (nothing else seemed to match), I made sure to use more variety in my second block.
All in all, these were fun blocks to make.  I can see now why they are so addicting.  I think Jaime is going to end up with a fun, scrappy, colorful quilt!

For January, Sandra asked for Autumn Star blocks in beachy colors - blue, aqua, gray and lime.  I really love the colors she chose and I'm excited to see how they all come together.  I knew immediately that I wanted to use some of my Patty Young Textured Basics.  The green looks a little yellowy, but I think it will work.  It's more green in real life.  I even found a little gray square in my scrap bins with the lime and aqua dots!  Anyway.  I hope these colors work out for Sandra.  I really liked this block tutorial because Faith gives you plenty of breathing room when working with the triangles.  I like having plenty of trimming space to work with so that my triangle blocks are easier to sew to other blocks with the crisp edges.  If that makes any sense at all...
 Fabrics: Med blue is from 10 Little Things by Jenn Ski, White is Kona White, Lime is from Joanns, Gray is Riley Blake something or other, the rest from my stash
 Fabrics: Blue and Lime are Patty Young Textured Basics, Gray is Kona Iron (I think), Whit is Kona White, Dark blue is something from my stash  


I'm looking forward to February, and even though my month isn't until May - I've been searching for the perfect block to ask for.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment