Monday, May 12, 2014

After the Storm: My First Pattern and a Giveaway!

Hi everyone, and welcome to those visiting from Sew Mama Sew.

Well, I'm totally doing this backwards, but I can't really help myself.  See, today is SMS Giveaway day.  I wasn't planning on giving anything away this time around, but then I had this idea - maybe a good one, maybe not so much.  We'll see what you all think.   ;)

My regular readers probably know that I finished my gigantic and color explosive "After the Storm" quilt recently.

I've blogged about it a TON, but still haven't done an official reveal.  I wanted to save that for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, which begins on Friday, so come back then for more photos.

What most of my regulars probably don't know is that I decided to sit down and write a pattern for this quilt.  I've had many positive comments about my progress, and finally one of my readers messaged me begging for a pattern.  So I thought about it for awhile and decided that even though I've never done it before, "How hard could it be?"  Of course, then I decided I wanted to include alternate size options for the quilt, in case other people don't feel inspired to make theirs huge-o-mongous like mine. 

Four weeks and many hours later, I have a finished quilt pattern with SEVEN size options.  :)  I'm super excited to be finally releasing it!  The pattern is paper pieced, and although I have not included instructions on how to paper piece, I did include lots of awesome links to tutorials online.  The pattern is super detailed (at least, I think so), and even includes diagrams for cutting fabric efficiently (because we all know how much paper piecing tends to EAT fabric).

You can find it for sale in my Etsy shop here:  Always Sewin Somethin

To celebrate my first pattern release, I am going to giveaway two PDF copies!  The winners can choose either the large quilt sizes (King/Queen/Full),


or the smaller quilt sizes (Twin/Lap/Baby).  The pattern will be emailed to the winners, so obviously anyone is welcome to enter! 
(Of course, I'm still pretty nervous about putting my first pattern out there for everybody to see, so hopefully somebody is willing to try it out for me!)

To enter, leave me a comment telling me what fabrics you might use for your version of "After the Storm."  Prints?  Solids?  A particular fabric line or color scheme?  I'd love to know!

For a second entry, follow my blog and leave another comment.  I'd love to know how many out there are reading along!  ;)
This giveaway will remain open until Friday, May 16th at 5:00 PST.   I will choose a winner via Random.org and email the winner their choice of pattern.

Now go check out all the other amazing things up for grabs:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/blog2/may2014/MayGiveawayDay.jpg


THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED! 
Congratulations to Cynthia and Bonnie!  

149 comments:

  1. This pattern is beautiful! I'm always a fan of rainbow colors, so I would keep the rainbow theme and see how it would look with prints. Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pattern! I don't even know what size I'd want because they all look awesome! This quilt screams for solids, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so gorgeous! I love the colors you've used and I'd do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following your blog so I can remember to come back and get the pattern if I don't win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt and congratulations on your first quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love storm at sea quilts. I would use batiks I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would make the pattern in solids, since there are a lot of fabrics there. Also, might you consider using a different font. It's cute, but difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Afton! I took your advice and adjusted the font to something a little simpler. You're right, I think it looks better now.

      Delete
  8. While your choice of solids really make the pattern feel solid, I think I would like to try it with batiks to see how that feels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I love the pattern. What a great job. And you not only are publishing the pattern you are doing it in hard copy too. (so many just do PDFs but that's okay). Amazing. It is beautiful! And I think PP is so much accurate then regular piecing. But you are right. Can be wasteful with fabric.

    I have been debating on either batiks which might take away from the beauty of the design itself or Clothworks has new solids that are really nice. Read you will probable be posting more pictures. That will probably make it easier for me to decide which fabric to use when I win my copy. LOL.... Hopeful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following you on Bloglovin. And even if you weren't having a contest I would still be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! I would love to do this all in greens, blues, and purples, using modern prints....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous pattern! I have a rainbow of batiks just waiting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always on the look out for great patterns for males and this would meet that need, I would do it in earthy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would use bright solid colors and small bright prints to make this GORGEOUS quilt. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to do it in black and white

    glazefamily3 AT gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I think I'd use AGF's Sew Caroline's Gleeful fabric collection for this. Thank you for the chance to win! :) coralbunnyandlo [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful pattern! Thank you for braving it and putting it out there. I would do it in blue,purple,green combinations. sarah@forrussia.org

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous quilt!! I love the rainbow theme. But I'd love to try it in blues/aquas/teals in solids. Thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I now follow you via bloglovin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a beautiful quilt. I like the rainbow look, but perhaps I would try using a FQ bundle I have staring at me...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, your quilt is stunning! I am a little intimidated by paper piecing but I really want to learn. Your rainbow version is amazing, but I might do it with a black background. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. amazing giveaway as I love your quilt! I think I'd want to make it in solids or tone on tone fabrics as patterned fabrics might detract from the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I follow your blog through Feedly

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pattern! A very clever adaptation on the storm at sea. I did a storm at sea pillow with colours inspired by Frozen (hey I have seen it a bazillion times) but for this is would do sea colours with a silver / grey background

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the colors that you used so I would probably use solids or fabrics that read as solids

    ReplyDelete
  26. This pattern is stunning! You did amazing work on it. For a smaller quilt I would probably use Kona solids and follow your colours pretty closely. For a larger quilt, I would love to make this using a variety of shades of blues and browns.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm following you via Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So PRETTY! I love how it looks both up close and then the whole picture. I would probably try to do charcoal grey on the outside that gradually lightens to yellows in the center, or your pretty rainbow pattern but start off with the black/charcoal grey colors in the upper left (you know..after the storm kind of thing). I've never tried paper piecing but I sure do watch a lot of tutorials on it@ Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I also follow on bloglovin =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. this would be beautiful in cherrywood fabrics - hand dyed fabs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i'm a new follower on bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  32. probably go with blues and greens. your pattern looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous pattern/quilt! I love your colors and think I would try to make it with Kona Solids. I followed a hop that used the Kona Solids and they made up such beautiful quilts. lyn@plkaufmann.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love solids and your rainbow effect is perfect! I would love a large size for me is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I would use solids, your pattern is totally awesome

    ReplyDelete
  36. AWESOME!!!! Love this I think I'd have to go with blues and greens for the sea colors.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! I'd do it in a rainbow of pearl bracelet fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations on your first pattern, it is fabulous. Paper piecing is my favorite. I see ocean waves so I would go with beach colors: aqua and teal solids along with some sand and a pop of yellow or orange sunshine. Thanks for the give away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have some beautiful rainbow batiks that I would use. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think I would have to use solids.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would use Kaffe Fassett ... thanks for the givaway

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your's is spectacular! I would probably try the same color combo - or go to blues & greys - stormy colors. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm a follower on bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your's is beautiful and I love the rainbow colours. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a lovely quilt! I think I'd make it in solids

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful! I really like it in bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I would use shades of aqua and greys. Greys for the background.
    oneoldgoat1962 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Holy Toledo! That is a BEAUTY! Love the solids, but prints would be pretty too! Most definitely in batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I follow you on bloglovin

    oneoldgoat1962 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'd probably try this in solids. Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I would use some nice saturated solids for this. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I follow via bloglovin as Sandy Hardman.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is a gorgeous quilt! I would probably do it in traditional blues, whites and maybe some aquas. Batiks are always a wonderful type of fabric for this look. Thanks for the chance to win.

    Leslie S. in MN

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh wow, this quilt is gorgeous! I would use prints, not sure what color scheme though. I might stick to teals/golds/corals possibly. Thanks for the wonderful giveaway, I would be happy to test this out for you! ;)
    amy.forkner(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  55. I have to say - this is gorgeous! I love "rainbow" quilts, and would likely hand pick the jewel toned fabrics for use in this. Absolutely stunning! Would also look great with grays, blues, etc. Any color scheme

    ReplyDelete
  56. I am also a new follower on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would love to win your pattern it is gorgeous, I would like to make it in black and orange

    ReplyDelete
  58. I'd make it in a series of "water" colors that transform into sunny colors.

    ReplyDelete
  59. And I follow you on bloglovin' The pattern is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is a beautiful quilt pattern I would use solids to make this quilt

    ReplyDelete
  61. That is a SPECTACULAR quilt! Beautiful, beautiful work! And thanks for the opportunity to win your pattern!

    As for me, I need to practise using saturated prints and low-volumes, so I'd try to make it scrappy, while still maintaining the rainbow and the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  62. What a fantastic pattern! I'd love to make a scrappy colorful version!

    ReplyDelete
  63. This would be fun to make with some ombré solids, like those from V & Co.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Lovely quilt. Think I'd use blue and green batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I want to make a Christmas quilt, so I would use red, white and green.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Oh my gosh! I would love to make this quilt! I have loved following your progress! I would make it with bright solid jewel tone colors.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  67. What a striking pattern! I'd use browns and teals on a light background.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I'd use batiks. Such a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  69. I would use the same colors that you did - it's a fabulous quilt and a great pattern!
    Dawn

    array-dawn at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  70. I follow you on Bloglovin
    Dawn

    array-dawn at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  71. Your quilt is stupendous. I love it! I'd be very intrigued to see how this would look in low volume prints with perhaps a louder background?

    ReplyDelete
  72. I'd love to make a baby quilt with cute little prints

    ReplyDelete
  73. I would do it in prints - maybe a rainbow colorway. 24Tangent "at" gmail "dot" com

    ReplyDelete
  74. Pretty Quilt! New follower! 24Tangent "at" gmail "dot" com

    ReplyDelete
  75. Gorgeous pattern. I can totally see it in bright batiks. Great give away. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  76. Wow! Beautiful quilt! I'd love to make a queen size in blues and greens!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I would use solids or small prints for the quilt. I love it, but prefer twin sized and smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  78. wow!! gorgeous. i'd use some little prints i think in a variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Tiffany it looks AWESOME!!! You are so good! I would LOVE to create my own patterns but just haven't ever done it! Are you printing them? or just PDF? If you have them printed tell me who you use! I love this quilt it is ADORABLE! I would use solids like you did! You are so good and do paper piecing! I stink bad at it and I get it for a bit but have to relearn it every time I try to paper piece again!! SOOO awesome I need to meet your little ones and you can meet my new ones you haven't met and you then you can see Brandon...ahh Brandon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  80. WOW! That is beautiful! I made a storm at sea that is similar by hand, but yours takes my breath away. What a labor of love!!!! WOW~ guess that's what I have to say and keep up the good work.
    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  81. I'm going to be a life follower on Bloglovin, my daughter works with kids and I just saw your books. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Tiffany, your quilt is AWESOME. I'm so impressed. I would make this in rainbow solids -- basically so that it would resemble yours. I'm not kidding; your quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Stunning Quilt and I love the rainbow effect but I am not a great fan of solids so would like to try hand dyed fabrics or batiks if I was lucky enough to win.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  84. Now following you on Bloglovin and also some of your boards on Pinterest....thats where I am heading now....to have a closer look.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  85. Stunning pattern - maybe rainbow colours or perhaps some of my precious Hope Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  86. i'd do hand dyed solids... wowza what a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  87. i'm following via bloglovin (@cadelethompson)

    ReplyDelete
  88. Wow this is brilliant!! I can totally see it in greens and all solids, just different shades :) Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  89. stunning! definately brights for this

    ReplyDelete
  90. This is the perfect pattern for my 12 yr old niece. Not babyish or too modern. Then I will do in a wave of yellows, oranges, pinks. I truly think this is sensational...

    ReplyDelete
  91. Your pattern is an absolute stunner! It is wonderful that after finishing such a major project (both in size and in complexity!) you were generous enough to tackle writing a pattern for us!

    ReplyDelete
  92. I LOVE this pattern and your finished quilt is GORGEOUS!
    I think prints might be too busy for the pattern, so I would stick with solids or blender fabrics in shades of blue, green, teal, and purple......

    ReplyDelete
  93. I am following you on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Love storm at sea and was crazy enough to buy myself a kit for a mini made with batiks. Yeah someday. :) Would love to do one with some favorite solids but can't seem to narrow down my choices. Cindy bluemoonstencils@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  95. Following you with bloglovin. Cindy bluemoonstencils@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  96. I'd use solids that had a lot of contrast between them.

    jhunsberger (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  97. And followed on bloglovin

    jhunsberger (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  98. It'd be pretty with a gray background and different color fabrics with white pindots !

    ReplyDelete
  99. Love it!!! It would look wonderful in rainbow dots! Everything is better with dots, dontcha think? :)
    craftyccain@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  100. I am following via bloglovin. :)
    craftyccain@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  101. I think I would try it in darker solid tones , what an awesome quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  102. Your first quilt is just gorgeous. I would want to do this in the same colors. It looks like a lot of us are planning to come back and buy the patten ourselves. Thank you for your generousity and to give us the chance to win a pdf of your first prized possession which is quite the sensation around here.

    Sandi Timmons
    sandit1@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  103. Gorgeous quilt and fantastic pattern. I would like to try it in a range of blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  104. such a beautiful pattern! I think I would like to try this with mostly solids and a few prints mixed in

    ReplyDelete
  105. Congrats on your having your first quilt pattern published. I know this must be incredible joy for you.
    If I were to make this quilt, I would probably use a green/blue schematic with aquas, turquoise, lime greens and most definately prints.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Oh what a gorgeous quilt! I think I'd use all solids - it's so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  107. Your quilt is beautiful. I think that I would use rainbow colors as well, but maybe on a darker background. Thank you for the chance. Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  108. I'm a new follower on bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  109. That's a stunning quilt. I'd pick the pattern for the large quilt. Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  110. I'm a new follower on Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  111. I think this quilt might be fun in Friedlander's Botanics!

    ReplyDelete
  112. I am a new follower via Bloglovin' & The Old Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  113. Oh, I think I would dye my own fabrics for this!

    ReplyDelete
  114. I've checked in and seen your progress on this from time to time. It's very impressive. If I were to make it I'd probably use solids or something very subtle, like a Moda marble. I'd keep a rainbow idea, but lighten it up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  115. I really like this pattern. I like textured solids so probably that in purples and blues.

    ReplyDelete
  116. I would love to make this using solids. I think prints would be lost in the intricacies of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  117. I would love to make this in greens, blues, purples and white.

    ReplyDelete
  118. gorgeous quilt! I've been skipping over most of the pattern giveaways because of time constraints...but this is so gorgeous I had to try! I'd probably do something scrappy with prints and completely unexpected! LOVE it! Thanks for the chance to win! lapaceksorchard at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  119. I would use batiks that are in the cool color spectrum

    detroitgirl77 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  120. Follow via bloglovin

    detroitgirl77 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  121. I think it would look fabulous in blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  122. AWESOME pattern!@!!! I love it! I know it will be a good seller ;) I think I would do a rainbow like you in prints and solids :) Thanks for the chance to win! ksmith8@emich.edu

    ReplyDelete
  123. Love your pattern! I've been looking for one for my Full sized bed. I have a Moda FQ stack waiting to be used! It's mostly patterns. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  124. Michael Miller's Mirror Ball would be great for this!

    ReplyDelete
  125. Beautiful pattern! I'd def use fabrics that read solids, tone on tones!

    ReplyDelete
  126. I love this! So glad you decided to do a pattern, I think soft pastel solids would look great

    ReplyDelete
  127. Wonderful pattern. If I win the smaller one is my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  128. That looks awesome. I can picture it in all blues sweeping from light colours in on corner to darks in the other.

    ReplyDelete
  129. It would have to incude purples and blues

    ReplyDelete
  130. what an amazing quilt! i think i'd use solids. I love the ones you've done! I think I might limit it to just one or two colors w/ some variation in that.

    ReplyDelete
  131. Your quilt is amazing I am constantly awed buy the beautiful quilts I have seen through sew mama sew. I think it would look beautiful with small prints with bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  132. Love the pattern! I think I would use solids as I have never made a solids only quilt. Thanks! wonderlandbyalyce(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  133. Wow, great quilt! I think it'd be nice in all cool solids.
    jones50(at)purdue(dot)edu

    ReplyDelete
  134. I'm following you now too on bloglovin.
    jones50(at)purdue(dot)edu

    ReplyDelete