Monday, March 14, 2016

Emily's Picture Perfect Baby Quilt

I made something!  Yay!

A friend of mine had a cute baby a month ago and she NEEDED a baby quilt from me, so I whipped one up back in January.  It is always so fun to work on a baby quilt.  They are so quick and easy - practically instant gratification.  :)

I was lucky enough to receive Kristin Roylance's book "Sew Sweet Baby Quilts" for Christmas.  It is SERIOUSLY SO ADORABLE!  I loved it so much I splurged and bought her first book "Cute Quilts for Kids."  This is really saying something since I've never actually bought a quilt book before.  I usually prefer to figure out my own patterns.  Anyway, check her out HERE.

I was determined to make one of these cute quilts for baby Emily, but in the end I went with a stand-alone pattern she had handed out at a guild meeting many many months ago (did I mention she's local?  Even better, right?).  It was really nice to work from a pattern where someone else had already done all the math and all I had to do was follow directions.  :)

The pattern is called "Picture Perfect" and it features these fun 3D flowers.  It came together really quickly.  The flowers were probably the most time-consuming part of the whole quilt.

The fabric (most of it) is called "Blushing" and it's by Margot Languedoc of The Pattern Basket.   I was super lucky to win it in a giveaway awhile back.  It's SOOOO pretty!

For the back, I found this super soft and cuddly fleece at Walmart.  It was actually kind of funny, the lady warned me before cutting it up that it was on the pricey side.  I told her I'm used to buying my fabric from quilt shops, so this was nothing to me.  :D  It actually was on the pricey side (for Walmart), but SO worth it.  It is divine.

The thick, plush backing ended up making quilting a bit interesting, though.  The fibers making up the fabric are so long, that they popped through to the top of the quilt with every. single. stitch, making it look like there were little pink dots throughout the whole thing.  So I ended up doing half the quilting from the BACK of the quilt!  It was a little weird, and hard to see where I was going, but it worked out.  :)

The sweet mom I gave this too was very grateful, because she's made a quilt or two before and knows what a labor of love they are.  Now.  I need to make more baby quilts.  Who needs one?


Quilt stats:
Started: January 2016
Finished: February 2016
Fabrics: "Blushing" by Margot Languedoc of The Pattern Basket
Batting: Pellon Nature's Touch 100% Cotton
Finished size: Approx. 41" x 41"
Recipient: Baby Emily
Methods used:  Piecing, Free Motion Quilting
Binding: Hand stitched to the back
Time to make:  Approx. 11 hours

 This was finish #6 from my Quarter 1 Finish-Along list.  Linking up!

2016 FAL


1 comment:

  1. The ric-rac and flowers! Gah! Cuteness! Congratulations on a wonderful finish! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete