Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Advice?

I added a few more rows to my Storm at Sea quilt.  Now it is time to start thinking about quilting and I have NO idea what to do!  I still have quite a bit more to add to this quilt, but I think I want to quilt this section, then add borders. 


I'm playing around with Snail Trail blocks for borders.  What do you think about this?  Too crazy?

I'm pretty sure I will do something a little fancier in all the negative space I plan to put around the edges, but I'm at a loss for how to quilt something as intricate as a Storm at Sea quilt.

Should I just echo all of the seams, like this:
SOURCE:  Amish Country Quilts

Or should I do an allover pattern, like this:
SOURCE:  Quilt Vine

Or this:
SOURCE:  Quiltscapes on Craftsy
Or possibly this (it's hard to see - there is a large swirl pattern going on):
SOURCE:  Charlotte Modern Quilt Guild

Or this:
SOURCE:  Linda Beth on Flickr

Or maybe something with all straight lines like this:
SOURCE:  Quilt Inspiration

Or something fancy, like this:
SOURCE:  The Secret Life of Mrs. Meatloaf

Or this:
SOURCE:  Ramblings from Randi

Gah!  Deciding how to quilt something is probably the hardest part of the whole process!  Any suggestions?

And since I am linking up with WIP Wednesdays today, here is a quick rundown of my other current WIPs:

-I finished stitching my own set of Hello Sun Blocks, just in time to put the February block up!
-I pulled fabric to make a lanyard for my new keys (the old lanyard went bye-bye).
-I have purchased everything I need to make my new skirt.  Next up - trace the pattern!
-I've decided I want to try making chenille bibs, and pulled out my meager supply of flannel, all ready to go.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

16 comments:

  1. I love the quilting echoing the block. The quilt top is SOOOO beautiful I would not want to distract from it. This is amazing work. I am so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the gradation from dense color in the center slowly transitioning through the snail trail pieces to the white space at the edges.

    I too would probably go with simple quilting and let all those colors speak for themselves. Though that first image with the organic swirls does remind me of a storm at sea... What a tough choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is stunning! I love the 'Quilt Vine' example. It makes me think of wind and waves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your top! It is gorgeous! I also think I would err on the side of simple quilting. I think the design speaks for itself and you don't want it getting too busy. I love your font here too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That quilt is going to be incredible and will remain awesome no matter what you do to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my goodness. If you can pull off the Mrs. Meatloaf one, you shall be named my reigning quilting hero! My vote would actually be for the Quilt Vine one. I think that looks cool. And your quilt top looks spectacular. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your quilt - the colour placement is fantastic - good luck picking a quilting design - there are so many to chose from!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My vote is for the swirls and waves (Quilt Vine) because it would add a lot of motion to your awesome quilt. Are you going to quilt it on your domestic or long arm machine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt! I like the quilting on the one from "Linda Beth" best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! - I like the all over quilting from quilt vine. It gives the top motion...
    def not the fancy one (my humble opinion!) good luck it will be awesome no matter what!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my..... that color combo is amazing, so striking and pretty xxxx

    i like the idea of extending the snail trails into the borders xxx

    Lucy xxx
    http://blog.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's incredible and your color choices and placement are amazing! I find choosing how to quilt something to be the hardest part too. I'm torn between the simple echo that lets the piecing speak for itself and the Quilt Vine design of wind & wave swirls. Looking forward to seeing it when it's all completed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is the second one (swirls) because it looks like ocean currents. But I also like the first (echo)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is gorgeous!
    Like many previous comments, my favorite quilting idea is the swirly design of the version from Quilt Vine.

    ReplyDelete