Wednesday, February 20, 2013

New Skirt!

I took the plunge and made myself a skirt!  And I LOVE it.  Probably mostly due to the fabric.  It was SO scary cutting into it, but I'm really glad it is finally being put to good use!  I also loved that even though I made a "garment," everything was cut with my rotary cutter.  Works for me!
Isn't it gorgeous?  The fabric is African Spirit by Elizabeth's Studio and I was super lucky to have won it.

I even made my own pattern!  I used THIS tutorial.  The only thing I would change is to not be quite so liberal in my measurements.  I was so afraid it would be too small, but it was definitely not too small.  I think next time I will take in the waist and not make it flare out QUITE so much (I went with slightly more than the maximum recommended - guess she really does know what she's talking about).

The skirt itself was made using THIS tutorial.  I love the ruffles. :)

I even sewed in my very first invisible zipper!  I'm not convinced I did it completely right, but it works pretty well, so I'm not complaining!
Since I was working with half yard cuts, I didn't have enough blue to go all the way around.  No worries, I just happened to have the flower print in three colorways.

I've already worn the skirt twice and I look forward to making another one someday!

This was my February goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes, so I am linking up here:

A Lovely Year of Finishes

Now I think I might go get a head start on my March goal. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet skirt. And you look great in it. It will work in the summer with a tank and sandals, too. Now you can make more lovely garments, it is easier than making a quilt! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my! This is so great. What a fantastic finish. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice skirt! The ruffles and the fabric make it a WOW!


    ReplyDelete