I made another quiet book! Yay! Here's the story.
Several weeks ago, a friend of mine came over with her son Henrik who is just a few months younger than my boys. She wanted to see my quiet books, so I got them ALL out and proceeded to talk her ear off about each one and how it was made. :) I figured she was there for inspiration and wanted to make one of her own. Then after a little while she whipped out her checkbook and said "I want one." I was so surprised (as I always am) someone wanted to buy one of my quiet books that she had a check written out before I could even stop her! ANYWAY. For such an awesome friend, I couldn't decide which one to make her, so I took all the best parts and combined them into one book! Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to add this one to my shop. :)
Wanna see? Here it is:
I decided it was time to take the plunge and try adding SNAPS! After much research, and several returned products, I found a pair of snap pliers and snaps at kamsnaps.com and they are TOTALLY AWESOME and VERY reasonably priced. I think I'll be adding these snaps to all my quiet books now! It turns out they are a little tough to pull apart, but they are definitely strong and won't be coming off anytime!
I combined all the pages from my shapes book into one. I like this WAY better because I omitted the extra words and it was nice not having to stitch ALL those itty bitty letters. There's a little bear behind those tent flaps, by the way. And I added googly eyes to the little baby behind the door. SO CUTE.
Most people say that they house page is their favorite from my two original quiet books. So I had to include one for Henrik. And that barn page is pretty awesome. I picked it up from Homemade by Jill. Instead of stitching eyes and noses, I used more googly eyes and a couple buttons. Way easier and totally awesome. Because this is the only page that I didn't create an original design for, I don't feel comfortable selling pages made from it. So I will have to think of a new page to sell in my shop. Hmmm.
I could tell that my friend like the buttons version of my colors books the best, so I made a colors spread with buttons. Again, it was nice omitting the extra letters and using some fun fabric scraps.
And then I couldn't stop! I wanted to make one more spread, so I made a counting page and an I-spy page. Mostly because they were the simplest, but also because they added the most variety. Plus, I wanted a chance to use those cute star beads. :)
Of course, I added a baggie to the back for storing velcro shapes, or whatever else needs to be stored.
One more shot. I finished the last page after the sun started going down, so I snapped this quick fuzzy photo in my (poorly lit) sewing room.
And the best part? My friend LOVED it! I brought it to church with me and handed it to her son right before church started. She told me after church that everyone in their pew was playing with it and that I'm probably going to have to make another one for her husband because he was having so much fun with it. :) Pretty awesome praise.
I've got another quiet book in the works - ABCs. It's going to be epic. Probably a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm excited to try some new designs.
As always, thanks for visiting! You guys are all so awesome.
Edited 6/13/14: Linking up with Fort Worth Fabric Studio's "Oh Sew Baby" series. Check it out!

your work is lovley
ReplyDeleteYour work is beautiful! What kind of plastic did you use for the "I Spy" page?
ReplyDeleteThank you! The plastic for the I Spy page is actually two layers of packing tape sticky sides together! :)
DeleteAbsolutely love your book - I think your white pages are my favorite out of all the books I've seen (and I'm in full research mode). Did you buy they interfacing in sheets? Or by the yard? Also, are they just one layer?
ReplyDeleteThanks Emily!
DeleteI buy my interfacing by the yard and then cut it to the size I need. Technically my pages have two layers, because I make each page with one layer of interfacing (the thickest kind I can find), then I sew them together back to back.
Does the interfacing hold up well over time?
DeleteLove your site. I am expecting my first grandchild (boy)in September. My husband just passed away a few months ago so we are all glad to have some joy come into our lives with this child.
ReplyDeleteI would love to have an activity to get me busy so I saw these quiet books on pinterest and thought this is the thing I can do that would also benefit the baby when he gets a tad older.
Are your "white" pages felt with interfacing in between or are they straight interfacing (2 sheets) sewn together. I want something sturdy and I found the felt sheets (sold at Michaels to be very flimsy) Any advice to get me started on the right track would be so much appreciated.