Happy Halloween!
This year, I got it into my head the the boys (now almost 2) NEEDED to dress up as little minions for Halloween. You should see them when they run around - they bob up and down just like real minions - they even TALK like them. :)
For some reason, I'm kind of opposed to buying premade costumes. Growing up, we always made them ourselves, the best we could. I guess I just feel like homemade is more authentic. Maybe I'll change my mind next year...
Anyway, I set about trying to find yellow hats and yellow shirts - I tell you, it is IMPOSSIBLE! Sure, I found yellow shirts, and maybe even a few hats - for adults. My kids are still in size 18 months. Sigh.
SO. I did some more digging and found THIS tutorial from Chucksforchancho. It was AWESOME! So detailed - Monica was so generous to share this tutorial with us. The only problem was this - I didn't know how to crochet!! I think I've done it before - 12 of 13 years ago my Mom taught me a few basics, but it never stuck. SO. I borrowed a crochet hook from Mom and proceeded to do lots of reading and youtube watching. And I learned how to crochet. THIS website (Maybe Matilda) was a LIFESAVER. Excellent tutorials and lots of extra links for videos and stuff.
And look, it worked! I spent about one evening learning how to crochet, then two more evenings (I won't tell you how many hours...) making these hats and I still can't believe how well they turned out! They are far from perfect, but way better than I expected them to be!
I ended up making them different sizes - the first one seemed a tad small, so I made the second one one size up. They both still fit pretty well, luckily. And I tried adding a mouth, but just couldn't get it to look right, so I left it off.
I'm not much of an overall person, but I found these two online, barely worn for only $3. SCORE!
And, to top it all off - I even ended up dying a couple of
onesies because of the atrocious lack of yellow clothing available for
18 month olds. Go me!
Group hug!
I wondered if you crocheted the hats. Great job!
ReplyDeleteNow I want to see a video of your talking minions. . . . :)
You did a great job! They turned out super cute!
ReplyDeleteWOW Awesome, you did such a great job with the hats. No one would ever know that you hadn't crocheted in years and years! The boys are super cute minions!
ReplyDeletePerfection for first crochet project. Very good little mama. What fun to have two little minions. Check out these crochet fingerless mitts for your little ones...that I found today. http://tampabaycrochet.blogspot.com/2013/11/free-crochet-pattern-minion-mitts.html
ReplyDelete